Methyl methacrylate resin-based (MMA) flooring is an acrylic resin system that consists of a primer, a layer for the body, and a coating for a lovely sheen with added protection. MMA floors are similar to epoxy floors but have certain benefits that are more desirable in specific applications.
But First, a Primer on MMA
MMA flooring is a durable floor coating applied to various surfaces, including concrete, asphalt, wood, metal, and others. The coating process occurs because of polymerisation, which creates a chemical reaction that makes the flooring resilient no matter how exposed to different elements, specifically natural elements such as rain, snow, and other harsh conditions.
The application process for MMA floors requires minimal prep work due to its bonding capabilities. MMA flooring shows excellent inter-coat adhesion, which means that the topcoat will not peel away from the layers underneath it. This flexibility of MMA cement allows for a coating thickness of up to 1/4 inch over concrete or asphalt.
Why Go for MMA Flooring?
The MMA resin is the perfect flooring solution for short-term applications in low-temperature environments. These coatings are particularly effective in food and beverage retail environments because of their chemical, water and slip resistance. For a durable floor that looks great, is easy to clean, and is also resistant to acids, MMA epoxy resins are a great choice.
There are many benefits to MMA-coated floors. MMA resins dry quickly and provide a hard, long-lasting finish. They offer better chemical and water resistance than other floor choices, and the installation is much easier than other coatings.
Let’s explore these benefits in more detail:
- Affordable and cost-efficient: It makes much more sense to install a protective coating when concrete floors begin to crack (like MMA flooring) rather than outright replacing them. If there are only small cracks, the layer will fill them in and prevent future damage.
However, if there are significant cracks, the coating will not be as effective since the breakage runs too deep or covers a large area. You will need to repair the concrete before applying.
- Customisable: MMA flooring is 100 percent customisable in several aspects, like its epoxy counterpart. You can achieve almost any colour you desire with coloured flakes, quartz sands, and pigments mixed into the resin. You can also include additives with antimicrobial or anti-slip properties, and even the thickness of coatings, allowing MMA flooring to serve your needs. Slip resistance can even be customised, as is the thickness of the coatings.
Again, like epoxy flooring, these are customisable characteristics present in other floor types as an afterthought or an add-on.
- Durability: MMA flooring is resistant to temperature changes and most chemicals. These finishes also form a solid surface with no cracks or seams. They are also scratch-, stain-, chemical-resistant, and water-resistant.
- Quick curing: For epoxy floor coatings, the cure time can vary from one to seven days, depending on temperature, humidity and weather. MMA resin-based flooring systems cure quickly; they are ready to use after 45 minutes and can be installed at temperatures as low as -25 Celsius.
- UV stability: Epoxy is prone to turning yellow with UV exposure, but MMA flooring will not fade or turn yellow over time. You won’t need to worry about the surface’s aesthetics. They’ll look as bright and vibrant as the day it was installed long after you installed them.
MMA flooring is one of the best kinds you’ll work with. They’re easier to install, cheaper, and hardier — meaning they’ll last longer than your typical floor resins. Don’t delay contacting a supplier so you can take advantage of this fantastic coating right now!
Get in touch with Fusion Coatings so we can install Garage Tuff in your home today! Garage Tuff is our MMA flooring brand superior to epoxy flooring and garage floor paint. Get your free quote from us today!